Whale Shark Expedition
The region of Inhambane in southern Mozambique is relatively undiscovered and offers tourists miles of pristine, deserted beaches, fascinating, historical villages to explore, and some of the most spectacular scuba diving available. The waters in this region are rich in marine life, boasting a regular and consistent appearance of the largest fish in the ocean, the Whale Shark, as well as the curious and graceful Manta Ray.
- You will be fly directly into Inhambane Airport where you will be met by a SharkQuests representative, who will assist with a transfer directly to the Jangamo Beach Resort.
- During the next 7 days you will embark on an epic diving adventure of 10 spectacular dives with your choice of reef to explore. Experiencing marine life in their natural environment is a unique and unforgettable experience. The magnificent Whale Shark in particular is a spectacular sight to behold. These gentle giants swim near the surface, feeding on plankton so they make excellent photographic subjects and ideal swimming partners. Although spotted on most dives, the ocean is unpredictable and we cannot guarantee daily sightings.
- During your stay, you have the choice of diving a number of spectacular reefs, each one a marine adventure in its own right.
- When not scuba diving, other activities you can participate in include fishing, sea kayaking, whale watching, surfing and sailing. Sail across Inhambane Bay in a dhow to the bustling commercial center of Maxixe. Enjoy a delicious, tropical lunch before returning to your resort.
- Accommodation: 7 Nights at the Jangamo Beach Resort
- After breakfast, you will be transferred back to Inhambane for you departure flight.
- Depth: 17-24 m
- This is the most popular reef as it is home to countless Manta Rays. There are 3 main cleaning stations on this reef, which allows the divers to view the Mantas from a very close distance. Whale sharks, Marlin, incredible amounts of reef fish, Devil Rays, Reef sharks, Bow mouth Guitar shark, Nudibranchs, Crocodilefish, Scorpion fish, Frogfish, Leaf fish, Moray Eels and many more can be seen on this world-class and unspoilt reef.
Jangamo Beach House Reef:
- Depth: 10 - 20 m
- This is a very large reef area, which has a lot to offer. Long ledges, overhangs and caves are home to large numbers of reef fishes and critters. Sightings of pelagic fish like Barracuda, Manta rays, Whale sharks, reef sharks and other rays are not uncommon. This reef allows for magnificent Macro photography e.g. Nudibranchs, Flatworms and many more.
- Depth: 7-12 m
- This dive site is normally a slow long drift through a long canyon littered with huge rock boulders covered in countless different hard corals. Macro life on this reef is also prolific. Common and humpback dolphins are sighted quite often as well as Mantas, turtles and schools of game fish.
- Depth: 18-30 m
- Also called the "Paindane Express" because of an extremely strong current, this is an exhilarating dive along a ledge full of macro life and also schools of game fish, turtles, sharks and rays.
- Depth: 7-12m
- This reef with all its caves, gullies, drop-offs and overhangs hosts a wide variety of Macro life including Nudibranchs, flatworms, shrimps, crabs and many more. Grey reef sharks are also often sighted here.
- Depth: 25-33 m
- a Breathtaking reef with gigantic Green Coral Trees growing on a long ledge. The marine-life inside these trees is magnificent, full of Seagoldies, Eels etc. We also find big schools of Gamefish and also Turtles, Mantas, Devilrays etc. on this dive.
- Depth: 10 - 15m
- This reef offers a magnificent variety of different species of Nudibranchs, Rays and hard and soft corals. This is a lovely reef for exploring through gulleys, overhangs, swimthroughs, caves etc and is excellent for Macro photography.
- Flight Cost: R 2,895.00 Per Person
- Land Cost: R 9,495.00 Per Person
- Total: R 12,390.00 per person or US$ 1,550.00 (Price is calculated at an exchange rate of ZAR 7 to USD 1. For the current exchange rate click here.)
- Return charter flight from Johannesburg to resort
- Transfers to and from the resort and airport
- 7 Nights accommodation on a full board basis
- 10 Dives (Full Scuba, weights, air, any reef)
- Daily Boat charter
Expedition does NOT Include:
- Porterage & gratuity
- Personal accounts (minibar, telephone, laundry etc)
- Malaria prophylactics are recommended and treatments should be commenced prior to arrival. Guests must check on necessary inoculations with their physician before travelling.
- All visitors need visas, which are good for up to three months, and proof of onward travel. The onus is upon the client to ensure that passports and visas are valid for the visit.